Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Up Up and Away

Every year in September my wife and I journey to northern New York State with her parents. We usually enjoy this trip over Labor Day weekend. However, this year due to her schedule we delayed our trip until the end of September. Over the years, we've had to make our trip even later having to venture up a couple of times in October harrowingly close to cold weather. This year the end of September worked just fine.

One of the things I've gotten to see often is hot – air balloons drifting up from Letchworth State Park. The park, affectionately dubbed "The Grand Canyon of the East" is a splendid jewel. Anyone having seen the spectacular vistas would no doubt give an affirmative nod to the title. Every year we manage to find time to enjoy a leisurely drive through the park to view the abundance of deer and take in the scenery.


This year we were treated to an added bonus. As we arrived at the middle falls parking area, two hot – air balloons were preparing to launch. We immediately parked and got out to witness this event. Unfortunately, as fate would have it, our camera was safely resting at the house some ten miles away. Since our planned journey had consisted of a trip to Batavia for lunch at our favorite Chinese food establishment, it didn’t seem necessary to lug the camera along. A note to myself and anyone interested in taking photos. Treat your camera like an American Express card. Don’t leave home without it. I know I won’t as the pictures I managed to take were captured with my cell phone.


Our view upon arrival.



Getting up



Almost ready




Once both balloons were inflated they managed to enjoy the company of the other as the crew completed heating the air and preparing for their departure.




Once the balloon was ready, it didn't take it long to leap into the sky and soar over the trees along the edge of the cliff, but after it moved over the water it became apparent it was going to try and touchdown into the Genesee River which flows through the canyon.



The balloon just barely touched the water before it regained some distance and stabilized itself a few feet above the water.



Meanwhile back at the launch site. The second balloon prepared to join his buddy.




This is when my wife's uncle told me they were going to go over the falls and we headed for the overlook as quickly as we could.



This is the middle falls of Letchworth State Park



Here come the balloons



Heading over the falls



It was a smooth transition from being a few feet off the water to being hundreds of feet off the water




After a few minutes inside the canyon, the balloons separated and headed for wind that took them back up the river.




Giving credit where credit is due.
This picture is from the Letchworth State Park site

Watching these two balloons take flight was a wonderful thing. I got so caught up in the excitement of the experience I have no idea where three of our party viewed this event. My father - in - law had a better vantage point to take pictures and when I get those I'll add them to this post. He was closer to this view. My photos were taken from the viewing area overlooking the falls. The few minutes it took for all this to happen made the entire trip. Next time maybe I'll be in the balloon taking pictures of the ground. That would be awesome too.


As I promised the following three pictures were taken by my Father-In-Law from above the falls viewing area.











Good job Max. I hope you enjoy these shots.


Until next time keep reading. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment