Monday, October 21, 2013

Belize It

These flowers were in boom right outside our beach door. 
This spider monkey was the beginning of our trip up the New River to the Mayan ruins at Lamanai. Lamanai means 'submerged crocodile' but we didn't see any.
 He liked watermelon and we treated him with several pieces. Our guide I. C. told us his mate died several years ago and now he is all alone.
 Water hyacinth along the river.
 A Jacana or Jesus Bird if you prefer. Walks along the debris along the banks of the river.
 Insect bats sleeping the morning away waiting for the dinner bell to ring in the evening.
 A hermit crab? I didn't have a guide for this but I suppose he arrived at our condo while we were away. Catch you later.
 Flora beside the pool.
 A flyover while we traveled to the Hol Chan Marine Reserve located at the southern end of Ambergris Caye Island.
 This coral formation is near one of the deep parts of the reserve that allows boats to pass out into the Caribbean. The sentry let us pass.
 Coming back in through the pass. San Pedro is in the background.

I think it rained every day we were there, but mother nature blessed us by washing everything at night while we slept. One particular night I heard it raining rather hard. It woke me up and I couldn't go back to sleep. After about an hour, I decided to go and read. When I walked into the living room, I saw that the sun was coming up so I walked out onto the pier with my camera and took these pictures.




 I believe this is a black cowbird, but I could be mistaken. Moments after I took this picture, he turned over a piece of coconut tree bark to see if any bugs were underneath. Or maybe he wanted something else. He left disappointed.
 Condo inhabitant. I was just visiting. He actually lives there beneath the bush.
 His Cousin? He lives there too. I envy them both.
 A ray that passed beneath the pier walkway. I wanted to see a spotted eagle ray, but this guy will have to be good enough.
 The view down from the top of the High Temple at Lamanai. The temple is 108 feet from the plaza. I took this picture with my cell phone.
 The view of the lagoon. Fresh spring feed water fills it and creates the New River that flows north to the sea. The Mayan's built their city near the lagoon and had to raise it some ten feet when it was flooded.
 The view of the menu of our favorite restaurant. Every Friday night is taco night and half price margaritas. Wish I'd know that before I left on Friday.










The view from Caliente of some fisherman cleaning the days catch.










The water was a clear green. The sky a brilliant blue. The people were happy and friendly. We had a great time at Wayo's bar on the beach. Walking through the Atlanta airport, we started making plans for our next visit. You better Belize it we'll go back.



Until next time keep reading and I'll catch you later. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment