Tuesday, April 30, 2013

The Making of a Storyteller ( Part 3 )



Okay so where was I when last we visited? Now I remember. I was telling you about my recounting TV shows to my fellow students. Let’s carry on.

In grade school, I managed to compose some poetry. I know now that I was only sticking my toe in the water to see how it felt. It must have felt okay because I kept at it, and once I got in high school; I started receiving some positive feedback from people whose opinions I valued. That feedback encouraged me to keep putting words on paper. My sophomore year English teacher labeled me a romantic. This shocked me. How could that statement be true? I wanted the stories I’d started to write to reflect Poe and Sterling. I resisted accepting that brand applied to my writing.

Now – after more than thirty years – I know she had me pegged correctly. It’s funny how sometimes people looking from the outside in can see more than the person on the inside looking out. Even though I now accept that label, it took years to get comfortable with it. Such is life.

In college, I continued to straddle the fence of storytelling. I wrote poems and some short stories. Some were okay but most fizzled out and didn’t amount to much. Once I graduated from college, I decided I wanted to see if I could sell some of the words I’d written onto the page. I became a Writer’s Digest subscriber and a book club buyer. With no typewriter available, my stores were poured out into notebooks and loose leaf sheets of paper. I entered contests not hoping or expecting grand prizes or awards. Sometimes a simple nod can go a long way, and I think most writers just want someone to say, “I liked that story.”

Starving for acceptance or appreciation is a difficult path to walk. Every moment without feeling that joy is like existing as a water starved houseplant. Every day, the dirt gets a little harder and the leaves become more brittle. Then one day a stiff wind comes along and kills the last bit of life left in your dream. The books go onto the shelf. The subscription is canceled. The notebooks with dozens of stories and pages and pages of poetry go into a box that finds its way into a dank dark moist basement. Years later that box degrades and falls apart. The papers damp and rotted beyond rescue find their final resting place in a bag of trash.

Years later, I typed some words into an email and hit send. I didn’t expect anything. I just wanted to let the lady on the receiving end of that note to know how I felt about her. With her words of encouragement, I continued to peck out more and more lines. She insisted I write more, and I did. Before long, I had the first attempt at a short story in years. When she read it, she liked it, but wanted it bigger, fuller, and bolder. I stretched the story and bulked it up, but it never became more than a short story. Wake Me Up Someday is hanging around on a hard drive waiting for a little work and a rough polish. Someday it’ll get both. I'm sure.

Keeping company with that story is others. These orphans may one day get their chance and come back to the forefront again. If not I’ve learned some things from them, so they haven’t been works without merit. Each one has given me more and more confidence in what I love doing. Also they’ve helped me embrace the romantic inside me, and that’s okay. What would this world be without love? Thanks Theresa for all your love and encouragement.

When next we meet I’ll give you the back story of The Hurting Place. Until then keep reading. : )



No comments:

Post a Comment